We are an open book, so please ask us anything. In the meantime, here are answers to some common questions.
Click on the questions below to reveal the answers.
Q: What clients do you work with?
A: Our clients include individuals, families, and institutions, specifically:
- Individuals receiving distributions from corporate retirement plans and IRA rollovers
- Surviving spouses managing proceeds from estates
- Entrepreneurs and professionals too busy to manage their own portfolios
- Generational wealth created from the sale of family businesses
- Trusts created through estates
- Regional pension and employee benefit plans
- Retirement plans for closely held corporations, including 401(k) plans
- Charitable foundations
Q: Do you have a mimimum account size?
A: Our services are best suited for those with $2 million or more to invest. We will, under some circumstances, consider exceptions.
Q: What are the custody options?
A: We work through a Limited Power of Attorney (LPOA) that allows us to interact with a broker, a bank, or another custodian on your behalf to execute trades and manage your account.
ProffittGoodson does not directly hold your securities or cash.
- ProffittGoodson does not directly hold your securities or cash.
- For your protection, custody of all assets and cash remains with an independent custodian, typically a large discount broker (e.g., Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.), a bank, or a trust company, depending on your needs.
- Your custodian provides separate, independent reporting of all balances and securities transactions.
Q: Will you customize an investment plan exclusively for me?
A: Yes. We provide clients with handcrafted, individually managed investment portfolios. Each portfolio is a product of our personal, proven procedure.
- To meet your explicit goals, and still meet your risk profile, we create a tailored mix of equity and fixed income investments for your portfolio.
- As your life situation changes, we may recommend adjustments to your investment strategy to help ensure that your investment assets are appropriately protected and your long-term goals are met.
Q: What is your investment philosophy and management style?
A: At the core of our philosophy is the belief that investing is fundamentally a long-term process, and investors are rewarded for maintaining a consistent and unwavering strategy. We concentrate on achieving growth through the compounding of consistent returns over time, rather than meeting expectations for short-term gains.
Q: What types of investment vehicles do you usually use?
A: We believe families and individuals with significant wealth can benefit from the precise principles of institutional portfolio management. Our approach is rooted in direct management of high-quality individual securities, including stocks, bonds, and other assets. We balance active management of individual securities with low-cost index funds to achieve broad diversification and attractive risk-adjusted returns, while keeping investment costs low.
Q: How will you keep me involved in decisions affecting my portfolio and investment goals?
A: Our management system consistently connects with you by phone, email, or in person, depending on your preferences. As events happen, we keep you fully apprised of your investment strategy and performance.
- We meet with you periodically to update your objectives and risk profile.
- You receive comprehensive quarterly reports, detailing positions and results in your account.
- Annually, we provide a comprehensive, time-weighted rate of return calculation, net of all costs, including comparisons to appropriate benchmarks.
- We provide detailed tax reporting data, and we are available for discussions with your tax advisors.
- You receive our monthly Portfolio Strategy newsletter.
- The custodian of your account provides monthly statements, along with transaction confirmations on purchases and sales.
- We are available by telephone and e-mail to discuss any questions or concerns you might have.
Q: HOW WILL I HAVE ACCESS TO MY ACCOUNT?
A: If you need stable monthly income, we can set up periodic distributions into your personal checking account. Checks also can be mailed or funds wired, as needs arise. Information about your account is provided as a matter of course and in several ways:
- As a ProffittGoodson client, your account includes a custodian, whom you will choose and who will provide information concerning your account.
- ProffittGoodson and most custodians provide account access through the internet. The internet is an immediate and convenient way to keep fully apprised of the most current status of your account and help you plan for tax reporting.
- Access through our website is private and secure through a Virtual Safe available only to you. Clients also have access to the PG Wealth Management System, and an account aggregation service allowing you to link and view account information from multiple custodians.
Q: How are you compensated for your services?
A: ProffittGoodson is an independent investment management firm that offers you a fee-only fiduciary relationship. Our compensation depends entirely on the value of your assets, so we share a common interest with you in preserving and growing your wealth.
- Our fees are based on account size, starting at 1% per annum of the assets under management.
- We do not earn commissions on your transactions, and we do not accept soft dollar payments from brokers.
- We have no association with banks or brokerage firms, and, therefore, we have no conflicts of interest and no hidden agenda.